동문소식
동문소식

[영어 인터뷰] 이진무(72, 경제) 前 한국존슨 대표이사

페이지 정보

작성자 이가온 작성일08-12-17 20:59 조회23,147회 댓글0건

본문

"자신의 기준으로 행복하세요"

Q. 학창시절과 서강대학교를 선택한 이유가 궁금합니다.

A. When I attended Sogang, there was a sense of identity among the students, and we all felt like we belonged to a very unique community. The school afforded us opportunities that other institutions had yet to think of, such as Advanced Exchange programs and an FA system, to only name a few. So we had the luxury of dreaming different dreams. It was and still is a relatively small school in terms of size, but we have very strong individuals in a wide variety of fields.

A. 모교를 다닐 때, 학생들 사이에 '우리는 특별한 학교에 소속되어 있다'는 자신감이 있었습니다. 서강대학교는 다른 학교가 따라올 수 없는 여러 특별한 기회를 학생들에게 제공했던 것으로 기억합니다. 예를 들어, 당시로서는 획기적인 교환학생 프로그램이라든지 FA제도가 그랬던 것 같습니다. 그랬기 때문에 상대적으로 작은 학교임에도, 각 분야에서 두각을 나타내는 동문들이 많은 것 같습니다. 

Q. 굴지의 대기업을 다니다가, 태동기였던 다국적 기업으로 옮긴 이유가 있는지요?

A. As you mentioned, after graduation, I joined one of the biggest local companies employing around 180,000 people, but then moved to a multinational company with only 18 employees. The general opinion of my peers was that I was making a mistake. Why leave a life-long guaranteed safe and secure job? But I had my own vision. While working in Australia, I felt that Korea would one day be a more internationalized and developed country, and would be exposed to the global markets. I decided I would try to be a pioneer in that new business trend and learn from my experiences so I could hopefully give back some of what I learned to society in the future.

A. 대학을 졸업하고 당시 직원 수가 18만 명이 넘면 대기업에서 CEO를 포함해 18명만이 근무하던 외국계 기업으로 옮겼습니다. 주변 사람들은 '안정적인 커리어를 버리고, 그러한 결정을 하다니 제가 큰 실수를 하는 것'이라고 말했습니다. 하지만 제게는 나름대로의 비전이 있었습니다. 호주 주재원으로 일할 때, 우리나라도 앞으로 세계화가 될 것이고, 그로 인해 글로벌 비즈니스 환경에 차츰 노출될 것이라고 생각했습니다. 그런 생각으로 다국적 기업에서 경험을 쌓고 싶었습니다. 아무도 간 적이 없는 길이었기에 많은 것을 배울 수 있을 것이고, 그런 경험이 나중에 우리나라에 도움이 될 것이란 희망을 가졌습니다.

A.  If given the chance, I would like to offer my consulting services to small and medium sized companies, seeking opportunities to grow and expand internationally. That is one of the many visions I have of how I could in my own way, help the Korean society.

A. 기회가 주어진다면, 좋은 상품을 가지고 있는 우리나라의 중소기업들이 세계적인 기업으로 발돋움하는 데 조언을 주고 싶습니다. 그게 한국 사회에 조금이라도 기여를 할 수 있는 방법이라 생각합니다.

Q. 믿고 의지하는 멘토가 있으신지요?

A. I had a mentor when I was working for one of the multinational companies I mentioned. He was my boss, and a Korean American. To be honest, for the first few years, I did not feel much respect towards him, as there were so many things he did that were quite hard for me to understand. For example, I did not agree with his policy of spending so much money on luxury goods. That all at first seemed somewhat over the top. But I eventually decided to switch my focus to
'What can I learn from him?' And from then on, instead of criticizing and disagreeing with him, I observed and learned from him. And I learned a lot. Even his seemingly extravagant behavior purchasing luxury goods began to make sense to me, as since we were after all operating on sales of luxury items, he wanted to be presented with this premium image. So the lesson I learned was that whoever your mentor may be, what is most important is that you decide to learn from that person.

A. 제 멘토는 처음 다국적 기업에서 일할 때, 교포 출신이었던 제 상사였습니다. 처음에는 저와 무척 달라서 존경하기가 쉽지 않았습니다. 예를 들어, 그 분이 럭셔리한 브랜드를 사는 데 돈을 쓰는 것을 과소비라 생각했습니다. 그런데, 나중에 이 분을 비판하기보다 '배울 점이 무엇이 있을까?'로 촛점을 바꿨습니다. 그랬더니 '아, 우리 회사의 고급 브랜드와 자신의 이미지를 일치시키려고 노력하고 있구나'라는 생각이 들어서 이해할 수 있었습니다. 당시 회사에서 럭셔리한 제품을 다뤘기 때문입니다. 누구를 멘토로 삼든지 간데 '누구에게든 배우겠다고 결심하는 것'이 가장 중요합니다.

Q. 동문 후배나 재학생에게 해주실 말씀이 있으신지요?

A. I want to say to the juniors once again, you are now members of a very unique community, so don't be afraid to play a different and unique game. Be a winner and experience happiness not measured by what other people think of you, but by your own values.

A. 후배들에게 '특별한' 서강의 일원이 되었으니 '두려워 하지 말고, 다른 사람이 정해놓은 게임의 룰을 따르기보다는 자신의 게임을 스스로 만들어 가라'는 말을 하고 싶습니다. 그래서 '다른 사람의 행복의 기준이 아닌 자신의 기준으로 행복하라'는 이야기를 하고 싶습니다.

*김지영의 영어 인터뷰 핵심 정리
1. It was and still is a relatively small school.
이러한 의미를 전달할 때, 흔히'It has been relatively a small school.'이라는 표현을 써왔습니다. 'Have + p.p.' 기억나시죠? 하지만 같은 뜻이라도 두 표현은 감성전달에서 차이가 있습니다. 'You have been my best friend.'와 'You were and still are (and always will be) my best friend,'의 차이를 느껴보세요. 두 번째 문장에서 '과거에도 현재에도(그리고 미래까지) 너는 나의 베스트 프렌드야'라는 것이 더욱 더 절절하게 느껴집니다. Barak Obama 미국 대통령 당선자가 연설할 때도 'We are and always will be United States of America!'라는 표현에서 가장 큰 박수가 나왔습니다.

2. Experience happiness not measured by what other people think of you, but by your own standards.
이번 인터뷰에서 등장한 가장 감동적인 표현입니다. 외워두시기 바랍니다. 동문님 모두가 자신의 기준에서 행복하시기 바랍니다. 

인터뷰어, 정리=김지영(99, 중문)
Cathy's Healing English
(www. healingenglish.com) 대표

*영어 인터뷰 연재를 종료합니다. 인터뷰에 응해주신 동문들로부터의 현명한 이야기를 들을 수 있어서 많이 배울 수 있었습니다. 부족한 인터뷰 따뜻하게 읽어주신 동문 여러분께 감사드립니다.

• 페이스북으로 보내기
  • 트위터로 보내기
  • 구글플러스로 보내기

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

게시물 검색

COPYRIGHT 2007 THE SOGANG UNIVERSITY ALUMNI ASSOCIATION ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
서강대학교총동문회 | 대표 : 김광호 | 사업자등록번호 : 105-82-61502
서강동문장학회 | 대표 : 김광호 | 고유번호 : 105-82-04118
04107 서울시 마포구 백범로 35 아루페관 400호 | 02-712-4265 | alumni@sogang.ac.kr | 개인정보보호정책 / 이용약관 / 총동문회 회칙
모바일 버전으로 보기